Our oceans, our future: partnering for the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14
The high-level United Nations Conference to Support the Implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development was convened at United Nations Headquarters from 5 to 9 June 2017. The Conference devoted special attention to the health of our oceans and seas and advance implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14.
Outcomes of The Ocean Conference included:
- “Call for Action” – An intergovernmental agreed declaration to be adopted by consensus
- Co-chairs’ summaries of seven partnership dialogues
- List of voluntary commitments for the implementation of Goal 14
Voluntary commitments for The Ocean Conference are initiatives voluntarily undertaken by Governments, the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, international and regional financial institutions, non-governmental organizations and civil society organizations, academic and research institutions, the scientific community, the private sector, philanthropic organizations and other actors – individually or in partnership – that aim to contribute to the implementation of Sustainable Development Goal 14. Any voluntary commitments made within the framework of the 2030 Agenda targeting SDG 14 can be registered as voluntary commitments for The Ocean Conference.
We are very proud to announce the registration of our commitment #Oceanaction28210, to prevent marine pollution and restore the marine environment through the development of Sustainable sport events and voluntary beach clean-ups.
The starting date of our commitment is November 2018 and we have to report our progress annually through sustainable reports and statistics. The goals of this commitment are:
- Elimination of single-use plastic from the sport events we participate by 50%
- Raise awareness through the motivation of our community by well-known athletes’ ambassadors
- Collecting data from all the voluntary beach clean ups for statistics purposes and research analysis.
Our commitment is also linked with the below Sustainable goals:
- SDG 3: Ensure health lives and promote well being for all at all ages
- SDG 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- SDG 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- SDG 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrials ecosystems, sustainable manage forests, compat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Support our sustainable sport journey and help us create a better environment for the future generations and the oceans.
More information about our commitment can be accessed through: https://oceanconference.un.org/commitments/?id=28210